Wednesday 26 September 2012

Let's talk about books

Books have been a HUGE part of my life since I moved to New Zealand. I moved here when I was nine years old and had no knowledge of the English language. I am now 20 and following a career which pretty much involves the English language every day...

When I look back to when I was in primary school, I remember how tough it was how I had to grow up really fast.

My family can tell you that I always had my head in a book. I use to love Jacqueline Wilson in primary school and birthday and Christmas presents were usually books from her.

FACT: I hate when my books get folded pages that I could cry. If I lend a book to a friend, I expect them to not fold the pages or crease the book in anyway possible! Freak? I think so.. (Ironic, how the picture of my book (below) shows how badly ripped it is) haha

I remember my first book I read in English. (In the picture on the right) I found it around the house and ended up finishing it over a few days. That is where my passion for the written word started.

I remember making brainstorms of stories I wanted to write and my Dad would ask me what I was doing and I would say.. "I am going to write a book!" Haha He must of thought I was crazy but I just loved it.

I even joined the library team where I spent my lunch times letting kids get out books from the library. Other times I would spent it reading in there finding books to take home.

It's funny when I think back and realise how my taste has changed. Sadly I did go through the Twilight faze...


Books surround my life now... just have a look at my room!



Some books by my bed



My favourites taking over the main shelf

Some went into storage..
Some become decoration / What do you think of my floating books? / and painting

What am I reading NOW?






At the moment I am reading City of Lost Souls which is book five in the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare! I haven't really started reading it yet.

The Passage by Justin Cronin is AMAZING. My brother got it for my birthday two years ago and I haven't finished it.. because other books come along and I get distracted. BUT I am confident I will finish it by this year! Well.. unless another cool book comes out :D haha


What are you reading NEXT?



Conor and I started reading this book together, but someone read it while I wasn't around which meant I got behind.

He is pushing me to read it before the film comes out, and to be honest I really want to! What I have read sounds so amazing. I love these kind of mystical books.



What YOU should READ.. 

There is so many books I want to tell you about but I will keep it brief so it isn't too long.

Here we go..

Anthony Kiedis, Scar Tissue / Lovely Bones, Alice Seboold / Nightlight, The Havard Lampoon
1. Scar Tissue is AMAZING. Conor is a huge fan of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and therefore told me to read it. I can't describe how awesome it is to read about this guys life. So much drugs and things you would think only a bum would do, but yet he is famous. I would recommend this even if you are not a fan, because it is an amazingly told story that needs to be heard.

2. Lovely Bones will probably be well known since it was made into a movie by Peter Jackson. If you haven't read it GET IT OUT. Amazing.

3. NightLight is hilarious... It's a parody of Twilight which I had to get since I liked it back then. I would recommend this to anyone as it is a really good laugh and completely mocks the book. Probably written better too haha

Mortal Instruments
This is an amazing series of books that is still being written. 10 times better than Twilight and most other fantasy books. I fell completely in love with this unique story line. It is hard to explain without giving things away but it is based around a girl, Clary Fray, who's mother disappears and a monster lurks in her apartment. She realises she has stumbled into an invisible war between ancient demonic forces and the secretive Shadowhunters. NOTE: Love story is AMAZING!


Infernal Devices
These are a prequel series to the Mortal Instruments and is awesome to read as it's a new love story but it's everyone's ancestors!

Eat, Pray, Love / Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult / Noughts & Crosses, Malorie Blackman

1. Eat Pray Love is an easy read which gives you hope. it is a journey a lady take sto find herself and finds live. It is a true story.

2. Nineteen Minutes is about a school shooting and all those affected by it. It is truly and amazing book that is written very well. It made me cry and completely rethink a few things.

3. Noughts & Crosses is about an interracial couple and the struggles they face. the cool thing is that in this book the races are swapped making the white people the ones who are treated badly. It is an interesting thought.




Hunger Games Trilogy


Yes, I know I don't have the first book but that's because I borrowed it. It is soooo GOOD! I love it so much! You definitely have to read these as it is about strength and standing up for what is right. AND the story line is awesome.



There is also another book I wanted to talk about BUT Conor has it.. It is called The Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. 

Now if you have ever lost someone you know it is hard. When I read this it gave me so many ideas as to what is in store for us when we pass.

This book demonstrates an idea of what happens when someone dies. You meet five people that you affected or they affected you and they teach you something at each level until you are able to go on. It is awesome please read it!



Let me know what you have read, and what you would like to read.

Lots of love

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...